Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Recipes from Mom: Zucchini "Boats"

This recipe starts a new series of posts that will be mixed in with the recipes I find in my research...recipes from my mom! My mom has been a working woman all of my life and is also an amazing cook. She has a lot of quick, easy, healthy meals that I can't wait to steal!

This first one is called "Zucchini Boats." I have made this before and I love it because it is so easy, and also healthy.

The ingredients you will need are:

-1 lb ground turkey
-1 medium-sized onion, diced
-1 tbsp minced garlic
-2 medium-sized tomatoes, diced
-2 medium-sized zucchini
-4 oz. reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese
-a couple pinches of oregano

I sized these ingredients for four servings because my fiancee and I like to have leftovers to bring for lunch the next day. You can adjust the servings pretty easily with this recipe based on how many people you want to feed.

Cooking Directions:

-Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

-Place the ground turkey, onions, and garlic in a frying pan. Cook until browned. Add tomatoes to mixture once finished cooking.

-Slice zucchini in half, lengthwise. Cut out the soft interior portion, creating a boat-like exterior piece.

-Place zucchini "boats" on a cookie sheet. Fill them with the turkey and tomato mixture. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and oregano.

-Bake in the oven until zucchini is soft, about 30 minutes.

Enjoy!!

Thanks Mom. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment